Suns' GM Ryan McDonough curious to see how teams defend guards Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic
The two young players have primarily been point guards throughout their careers, but will be starting side-by-side, changing the styles or roles they might be used to. While it may take some time to adjust, Suns' general manager Ryan McDonough believes pairing them will create matchup issues for opposing defenses.
"I'm curious to watch how teams defend Bledsoe and Dragic," McDonough told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "I think we're a little bit unique in that we have two guys who can really push the ball up the floor and run pick-and-rolls."
Having two point guards playing at the same time may seem unconventional, McDonough said the league is changing and there have been examples of it working before.
"I'd say generally that the NBA is becoming more position-less," McDonough said. "You see a lot of teams, the Knicks are a good example, who play multiple ball-handlers, they run pick-and-rolls from both sides of the floor."
One historical example McDonough brought up was when Phoenix paired Kevin Johnson and current head coach Jeff Hornacek, two guards who played well with the ball in their hands. The Suns went to two Western Conference Finals with Johnson and Hornacek, proving a team built like that can succeed.
As for how much Bledsoe and Dragic will play together during games, McDonough said he has an idea, but ultimately it is Hornacek's call.
"My guess is they'll be together at the beginning and the end of the game," McDonough said. "It's up to Coach Hornacek, obviously, with the substitution patterns, but I think one will come out, the other guy will stay in and be the point guard."
Acquiring the 23-year-old Bledsoe in a three-team trade was one of the first moves McDonough made as GM, while Dragic signed a four-year, $34 million deal with the Suns before the 2012 season as a free agent.
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.