Suns' GM Ryan McDonough curious to see how teams defend guards Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic
The two young players have primarily been point guards throughout their careers, but will be starting side-by-side, changing the styles or roles they might be used to. While it may take some time to adjust, Suns' general manager Ryan McDonough believes pairing them will create matchup issues for opposing defenses.
"I'm curious to watch how teams defend Bledsoe and Dragic," McDonough told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "I think we're a little bit unique in that we have two guys who can really push the ball up the floor and run pick-and-rolls."
Having two point guards playing at the same time may seem unconventional, McDonough said the league is changing and there have been examples of it working before.
"I'd say generally that the NBA is becoming more position-less," McDonough said. "You see a lot of teams, the Knicks are a good example, who play multiple ball-handlers, they run pick-and-rolls from both sides of the floor."
One historical example McDonough brought up was when Phoenix paired Kevin Johnson and current head coach Jeff Hornacek, two guards who played well with the ball in their hands. The Suns went to two Western Conference Finals with Johnson and Hornacek, proving a team built like that can succeed.
As for how much Bledsoe and Dragic will play together during games, McDonough said he has an idea, but ultimately it is Hornacek's call.
"My guess is they'll be together at the beginning and the end of the game," McDonough said. "It's up to Coach Hornacek, obviously, with the substitution patterns, but I think one will come out, the other guy will stay in and be the point guard."
Acquiring the 23-year-old Bledsoe in a three-team trade was one of the first moves McDonough made as GM, while Dragic signed a four-year, $34 million deal with the Suns before the 2012 season as a free agent.
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.