New Phoenix Suns guard Eric Bledsoe thinks backcourt combo will work just fine
Few are of a positive nature, though, as most expect the team to struggle on a nightly basis.
One area that is less concerning than intriguing is the backcourt, where Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe will share point guard duties.
Can the duo, both talented and undersized, mesh well enough to give the Suns something to build around?
"Two point guards on the team, it makes it easier," Bledsoe told Jon Bloom and the Phoenix Suns Preseason Special. "Goran is a terrific competitor and so am I, and just to have both of us on the court at the same time...I think it helps."
Neither Bledsoe nor Dragic are considered to be "traditional" point guards, as each is very adept at scoring along with collecting assists.
Last season, which was Dragic's first as a full-time starter, saw him average 14.7 points and 7.4 assists per game, though his averages jumped to 16.1 and 9.5 in 26 games after the All-Star break. And Bledsoe, who tallied 8.5 points and 3.1 assists per game coming off the bench for the L.A. Clippers, averaged 14.2 points and 5.3 assists in 12 games as a starter.
Neither is known to be a dead-eye shooter, but the plan is for the two to play off one another.
"Any guard, point guard-wise, is going to try to get in the paint and create for others," Bledsoe said. "Just as Goran gets the ball and brings it up the court, I'll space it for him.
"I think it works both ways."
The Suns will find out if it works -- at all -- starting Wednesday when they host the Portland Trail Blazers at 7:00 p.m. at US Airways Center.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.