New Phoenix Suns guard Eric Bledsoe thinks backcourt combo will work just fine
Few are of a positive nature, though, as most expect the team to struggle on a nightly basis.
One area that is less concerning than intriguing is the backcourt, where Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe will share point guard duties.
Can the duo, both talented and undersized, mesh well enough to give the Suns something to build around?
"Two point guards on the team, it makes it easier," Bledsoe told Jon Bloom and the Phoenix Suns Preseason Special. "Goran is a terrific competitor and so am I, and just to have both of us on the court at the same time...I think it helps."
Neither Bledsoe nor Dragic are considered to be "traditional" point guards, as each is very adept at scoring along with collecting assists.
Last season, which was Dragic's first as a full-time starter, saw him average 14.7 points and 7.4 assists per game, though his averages jumped to 16.1 and 9.5 in 26 games after the All-Star break. And Bledsoe, who tallied 8.5 points and 3.1 assists per game coming off the bench for the L.A. Clippers, averaged 14.2 points and 5.3 assists in 12 games as a starter.
Neither is known to be a dead-eye shooter, but the plan is for the two to play off one another.
"Any guard, point guard-wise, is going to try to get in the paint and create for others," Bledsoe said. "Just as Goran gets the ball and brings it up the court, I'll space it for him.
"I think it works both ways."
The Suns will find out if it works -- at all -- starting Wednesday when they host the Portland Trail Blazers at 7:00 p.m. at US Airways Center.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t