Updated Oct 29, 2013 - 10:41 am
Report: Los Angeles Clippers owner tried to nix Bledsoe-Dudley trade
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling tried to call off the deal that sent Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler to the Suns in exchange for Jared Dudley; it was a three-team trade that also saw Milwaukee send J.J. Redick to Los Angeles in exchange for second round draft picks from both the Suns and Clippers.
The deal was announced on July 2. But, according to Wojnarowski, Sterling called team president Andy Roeser on the afternoon of July 3, wanting to renege on the trade.
Sterling apparently wasn't enthused about the acquisitions of Dudley and Redick -- particularly Redick, who agreed to a four-year, $27 million contract as part of the sign-and-trade deal. New Clippers head coach and senior vice president of basketball operations Doc Rivers was the one who wanted Dudley and Redick on the team, thinking the two would fit in well with his system.
Additionally, Sterling wasn't happy about parting with Bledsoe.
Yes, Sterling had been fond of Bledsoe. He was young, explosive, impactful on the Clippers' second unit. Some believed too, that Sterling stereotyped Redick and didn't want to pay $27 million for a bench player.
Rivers' contract gives him ultimate management authority on deals, and the former Boston Celtics coach reportedly wasn't too happy -- embarrassed even -- about being second-guessed by his new owner.
Technically, the Clippers could have still backed out of the agreement, since Redick was a free agent and the team could have rescinded its offer to him because the official free agency period didn't start until July 11.
Sources told the Yahoo! writer that if Sterling kept pushing the trade cancellation, then Rivers might have given him his resignation papers in return.
Ultimately, Sterling was pacified somehow, Rivers stayed and the deal went through, helping Phoenix land its coveted combo guard, and marking the first major deal for McDonough and Rivers, both of whom worked for the Celtics organization up until a season ago.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.