With shortage of bigs, Suns' Frye forced into action 'whether he's in shape or not'
Now the team is not only without its center from the better part of the last three seasons, but the Suns are also taking it slow with first-round pick Alex Len -- something that could force Phoenix to start Channing Frye or go with a smaller lineup that includes Marcus Morris at center.
Frye is making his return after missing all of last season because of an enlarged heart, and hasn't played in a regular season game since April 25, 2012.
"If (starting) is what's best for the team, I'll be ready to go," Frye said. "It's cool if it happens. If not, I'll be ready to contribute."
The Suns are easing the 7-foot-1 Len into the rotation after he underwent ankle surgery in July, and Miles Plumlee -- the team's other option at center -- played just 14 games as a rookie with the Indiana Pacers.
"Obviously it depends what happens with Alex's foot," Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said. "But if it's sore, he might [play] limited minutes."
Hornacek said the Suns could also roll out a small lineup that includes the 6-foot-9 Marcus Morris at center, though that would likely only be sustainable for small stretches while getting either of the Suns' centers a breather.
Frye said he's typically someone who plays better as he finds a rhythm and gets used to playing with a group for an extended period of time. But that's likely not a luxury the eighth-year pro out of the University of Arizona will be afforded as the Suns adjust to the trade of Gortat and ease Len onto the court.
"Channing's going to have to play whether he's in shape or not," Hornacek said.
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.