Suns' Miles Plumlee had 'most surprising' preseason, according to Lon Babby
"We are a summer league and preseason juggernaut," he told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, jokingly.
"I thought it was a terrific preseason, not because we won five games -- I think that's good for our confidence and all of that," he went on.
"But I just think we learned a lot about all our players and implemented a system and did a good job with that."
Babby went on to talk about the play of new players like Eric Bledsoe, Gerald Green, Archie Goodwin and company. He discussed the Bledsoe and Goran Dragic backcourt and how it worked out. And he mentioned improvements on the defensive end.
But when asked by the show which player he thought had the most surprising performance in the preseason, Babby's answer was a bit surprising.
"If you limited me to one, I think I'd have to say Miles Plumlee," he said. "He's played very, very well."
In seven games this preseason, spanning 130 minutes, Plumlee managed 32 rebounds, second only to Marcin Gortat and Markieff Morris, and eight blocks, which trailed only Gortat among Suns players.
"Miles has been terrific," Babby said. "You know, rebounding the ball, blocking shots, running the floor. I think that he was a very pleasant surprise."
Babby later explained how general manager Ryan McDonough targeted Plumlee, who spent his rookie season with the Indiana Pacers, as a player who would fit the team's needs.
"Ryan saw it in summer league," Babby said of McDonough's trip to Orlando to scout.
With the Pacers last season, Plumlee played in just 14 games, averaging just under four minutes per game and accruing 13 total points with 22 total rebounds.
"That's an example of Ryan's work as we worked that deal in the summer, getting Plumlee and Gerald Green, both of whom are playing well," Babby said.
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.