Suns' Miles Plumlee had 'most surprising' preseason, according to Lon Babby
"We are a summer league and preseason juggernaut," he told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, jokingly.
"I thought it was a terrific preseason, not because we won five games -- I think that's good for our confidence and all of that," he went on.
"But I just think we learned a lot about all our players and implemented a system and did a good job with that."
Babby went on to talk about the play of new players like Eric Bledsoe, Gerald Green, Archie Goodwin and company. He discussed the Bledsoe and Goran Dragic backcourt and how it worked out. And he mentioned improvements on the defensive end.
But when asked by the show which player he thought had the most surprising performance in the preseason, Babby's answer was a bit surprising.
"If you limited me to one, I think I'd have to say Miles Plumlee," he said. "He's played very, very well."
In seven games this preseason, spanning 130 minutes, Plumlee managed 32 rebounds, second only to Marcin Gortat and Markieff Morris, and eight blocks, which trailed only Gortat among Suns players.
"Miles has been terrific," Babby said. "You know, rebounding the ball, blocking shots, running the floor. I think that he was a very pleasant surprise."
Babby later explained how general manager Ryan McDonough targeted Plumlee, who spent his rookie season with the Indiana Pacers, as a player who would fit the team's needs.
"Ryan saw it in summer league," Babby said of McDonough's trip to Orlando to scout.
With the Pacers last season, Plumlee played in just 14 games, averaging just under four minutes per game and accruing 13 total points with 22 total rebounds.
"That's an example of Ryan's work as we worked that deal in the summer, getting Plumlee and Gerald Green, both of whom are playing well," Babby said.
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.