Paul scores 24 to lead Clippers past Suns, 102-96
PHOENIX (AP) - Chris Paul scored 13 of his 24 points in the first quarter to help the Los Angeles Clippers run out to an early lead and beat the Phoenix Suns 102-96 in a preseason game Tuesday night.
Byron Mullins and Willie Green each had 15 points and DeAndre Jordan added 11 points and 11 rebounds for the Clippers, who led by 16 at halftime en route to their second win in four games.
Goran Dragic scored 20 points and Marcin Gortat added 12 to lead the Suns, who had won their first three preseason games while averaging 113 points per game.
After the Suns pulled to 95-94 on Miles Plumlee's short jumper with 38.8 seconds left, Lou Amundson scored on a dunk 5 seconds later to give Los Angeles a 97-94 lead and Kendall Marshall missed a jumper on Phoenix's ensuing possession.
Clippers coach Doc Rivers spent the second half in the Clippers' locker room with an undisclosed illness. Los Angeles assistant coach Alvin Gentry, who was fired by the Suns on Jan. 18, took over the sideline duties.
Playing its presumptive starting lineup for the first time, Phoenix cut into the Clippers' lead at the start of the second half.
Gortat and Dragic scored six points each, and Eric Bledsoe hit a 19-foot jumper with 4:16 left in the third quarter to pull the Suns within 66-63.
But Paul scored on consecutive jumpers and set up Jordan for a thunderous alley-oop dunk over Bledsoe as Los Angeles pushed its lead back to 76-66 to end the third.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.