Paul scores 24 to lead Clippers past Suns, 102-96
PHOENIX (AP) - Chris Paul scored 13 of his 24 points in the first quarter to help the Los Angeles Clippers run out to an early lead and beat the Phoenix Suns 102-96 in a preseason game Tuesday night.
Byron Mullins and Willie Green each had 15 points and DeAndre Jordan added 11 points and 11 rebounds for the Clippers, who led by 16 at halftime en route to their second win in four games.
Goran Dragic scored 20 points and Marcin Gortat added 12 to lead the Suns, who had won their first three preseason games while averaging 113 points per game.
After the Suns pulled to 95-94 on Miles Plumlee's short jumper with 38.8 seconds left, Lou Amundson scored on a dunk 5 seconds later to give Los Angeles a 97-94 lead and Kendall Marshall missed a jumper on Phoenix's ensuing possession.
Clippers coach Doc Rivers spent the second half in the Clippers' locker room with an undisclosed illness. Los Angeles assistant coach Alvin Gentry, who was fired by the Suns on Jan. 18, took over the sideline duties.
Playing its presumptive starting lineup for the first time, Phoenix cut into the Clippers' lead at the start of the second half.
Gortat and Dragic scored six points each, and Eric Bledsoe hit a 19-foot jumper with 4:16 left in the third quarter to pull the Suns within 66-63.
But Paul scored on consecutive jumpers and set up Jordan for a thunderous alley-oop dunk over Bledsoe as Los Angeles pushed its lead back to 76-66 to end the third.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.