Updated Oct 13, 2013 - 3:49 pm
Green helps Suns beat Spurs
SAN ANTONIO (AP) - Gerald Green had 19 points and the Phoenix Suns beat the San Antonio Spurs 106-99 on Sunday to remain unbeaten in three preseason games under first-year coach Jeff Hornacek.
Miles Plumlee and rookie Dionte Christmas, 3 for 4 on 3-pointers, added 14 points each.
Starting point guard Goran Dragic, who was 0 for 3 in 7 minutes, was the only one of Phoenix's 16 players who did not score.
"When I got the job and I talked to them they said `We all liked each other off the court, but didn't seem like we liked each other on the court,'" Hornacek said. "That was a big emphasis on us this year, just teamwork. We don't care who scores. Guys have done a nice job of just playing the game and hitting the open guy."
Both teams sat out their starters sat out much of the second half.
Tim Duncan had 12 points, and Manu Ginobili added 11 points and five assists for San Antonio (1-1). Tony Parker, who spent much of the offseason playing for France's national team, had 11 points in 17 minutes before sitting out the entire second half.
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich gave Kawhi Leonard and Boris Diaw a day off. Corey Maggette, who is battling for a roster spot, had 10 points and three assists while starting in place of Leonard.
"(Maggette) looks like he's caught on to what we're trying to do," Popovich said. "He's an intelligent player. He's been in the league a while. He knows how to try to fit in and that's what he's trying to do with us. See if he can absorb enough to be a part of this team."
San Antonio's roster is down to 19 players after waiving Sam Young on Thursday.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The DISH - December 3, 2013 - Tuesday December 3Jon Bloom brings us this day in Suns' history.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 3Coach says the Suns know who they are, so who are they?
- The DISH - November 29, 2013 - Friday November 29Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - November 27, 2013 - Wednesday November 27Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Wednesday November 27What is the key to a Suns' victory over Portland?