Updated Oct 10, 2013 - 2:09 pm
Channing Frye makes successful return to the court in preseason win over Portland
On one hand, he was playing on the road against the team he left to join Phoenix in 2009. On the other hand, it was Frye's first NBA game since April 21, 2012; the University of Arizona alum sat out the entire 2012-13 season with an enlarged heart that appeared to have been caused by a virus.
The sharpshooting big man wasted no time against Portland with getting in synch with his teammates new and old. In 16 minutes off the bench, Frye put up an impressive 14 points on 5-of-6 shooting, including 3-for-4 from downtown, as the Suns pulled off a 104-98 preseason win.
After the game, Frye had nothing but gratitude to express on Twitter:
Thank you is all I can say. Thank you for everything It seemed that tonight was so far away and y'all helped me get here with your love.— Channing Frye (@Channing_Frye) October 10, 2013
Recognizing the milestone, ex-teammate Steve Nash tweeted congratulations to Frye.
The eight-year veteran will likely battle Markieff Morris for playing time at the power forward position this season. Frye would provide some instant offense if he comes off the bench; but, if Phoenix goes with Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe and P.J. Tucker as the starting point guard and wings this year, head coach Jeff Hornacek could need Frye's skillset to stretch the court and keep defenses from packing the lane.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday April 17What should we make of the Sunsí season?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.