Updated Oct 10, 2013 - 2:09 pm
Channing Frye makes successful return to the court in preseason win over Portland
On one hand, he was playing on the road against the team he left to join Phoenix in 2009. On the other hand, it was Frye's first NBA game since April 21, 2012; the University of Arizona alum sat out the entire 2012-13 season with an enlarged heart that appeared to have been caused by a virus.
The sharpshooting big man wasted no time against Portland with getting in synch with his teammates new and old. In 16 minutes off the bench, Frye put up an impressive 14 points on 5-of-6 shooting, including 3-for-4 from downtown, as the Suns pulled off a 104-98 preseason win.
After the game, Frye had nothing but gratitude to express on Twitter:
Thank you is all I can say. Thank you for everything It seemed that tonight was so far away and y'all helped me get here with your love.— Channing Frye (@Channing_Frye) October 10, 2013
Recognizing the milestone, ex-teammate Steve Nash tweeted congratulations to Frye.
The eight-year veteran will likely battle Markieff Morris for playing time at the power forward position this season. Frye would provide some instant offense if he comes off the bench; but, if Phoenix goes with Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe and P.J. Tucker as the starting point guard and wings this year, head coach Jeff Hornacek could need Frye's skillset to stretch the court and keep defenses from packing the lane.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Thursday July 17ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard gives his take on Eric Bledsoe’s contract situation with the Phoeni