Suns' Frye excited about return to court, Suns' future
After being forced to sit out all year due to an enlarged heart, the team announced Frye's return on Monday. While he said he's excited about getting to play again, Frye added he's just as enthusiastic about the Suns' future.
"I'm very excited about where we're going, what kind of opportunities that these young players have to grow," Frye said. "This doesn't happen very often."
Frye was referring to the large amount of young talent the team acquired during the offseason, including first round draft pick Alex Len and point guard Eric Bledsoe, who was acquired in a trade with the Los Angeles Clippers.
Frye, the oldest player on the team at 30, said that while the team will go through some growing pains, he thinks the team is filled with good players and praised the athleticism on the squad. He compared the young nucleus to what the Oklahoma City Thunder had before they became elite.
"They kept a lot of the young guys and they let them grow together and they became a great team," Frye said. "And they're an awesome team and they love their fans and they love their city. I hope that's what we can do."
While Frye is optimistic about this season, he admitted that watching last year on the sidelines was more difficult for him than people might have realized.
"It was the worst," Frye said. "I am a diehard Suns fan. I've been that way for a long time. So for me, to see us not playing to the potential that I think we could have played and just not being successful really hurts.
"And so for me, I was just like, ‘Man, I wish I could be out there just to help.' At least if I'm out there, at least I could blame it on myself."
The Suns are happy to add his 39 percent career shooting from three-point range as they lacked a deep threat last year.
"He's a great shooter; a guy that can help us spread the floor," head coach Jeff Hornacek said.
Frye isn't in playing shape yet but will partake in some activities during the Suns' training camp in Flagstaff. The Suns open their season against Portland on Oct. 30.
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.