Former Suns guard Diante Garrett signs with Oklahoma City
The 6-foot-4 Iowa State product split his time last year with the Suns and their D-League affiliate, the Bakersfield Jam. He averaged about 8 minutes a game in 19 contests with Phoenix.
The free agent guard also played with Phoenix's Summer League squad in July, but said he was treating his time there like it was a tryout for any of the 30 NBA teams. Garrett averaged 5.7 points and 3.9 assists in 16.7 minutes per game while coming off the bench in all seven of the Suns' Summer League contests.
The Thunder already has three points guards on its roster, but starter Russell Westbrook may not be ready to go when the season begins, due to a knee injury sustained in the 2013 playoffs.
The Suns likely passed over Garrett due to the influx of guards they acquired over the offseason. The team acquired Eric Bledsoe, Ish Smith and Malcolm Lee through trades, drafted Kentucky combo-guard Archie Goodwin and recently signed Summer League standout Dionte Christmas. Phoenix heads into training camp with 17 players on the roster.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.
- The DISH - April 12, 2014 - Saturday April 12Jon Bloom gives us the Day in Suns' History.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 11NBA insider Chris Broussard dicsusses the NBA playoff race.