Former Suns guard Diante Garrett signs with Oklahoma City
The 6-foot-4 Iowa State product split his time last year with the Suns and their D-League affiliate, the Bakersfield Jam. He averaged about 8 minutes a game in 19 contests with Phoenix.
The free agent guard also played with Phoenix's Summer League squad in July, but said he was treating his time there like it was a tryout for any of the 30 NBA teams. Garrett averaged 5.7 points and 3.9 assists in 16.7 minutes per game while coming off the bench in all seven of the Suns' Summer League contests.
The Thunder already has three points guards on its roster, but starter Russell Westbrook may not be ready to go when the season begins, due to a knee injury sustained in the 2013 playoffs.
The Suns likely passed over Garrett due to the influx of guards they acquired over the offseason. The team acquired Eric Bledsoe, Ish Smith and Malcolm Lee through trades, drafted Kentucky combo-guard Archie Goodwin and recently signed Summer League standout Dionte Christmas. Phoenix heads into training camp with 17 players on the roster.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?