Former Suns guard Diante Garrett signs with Oklahoma City
The 6-foot-4 Iowa State product split his time last year with the Suns and their D-League affiliate, the Bakersfield Jam. He averaged about 8 minutes a game in 19 contests with Phoenix.
The free agent guard also played with Phoenix's Summer League squad in July, but said he was treating his time there like it was a tryout for any of the 30 NBA teams. Garrett averaged 5.7 points and 3.9 assists in 16.7 minutes per game while coming off the bench in all seven of the Suns' Summer League contests.
The Thunder already has three points guards on its roster, but starter Russell Westbrook may not be ready to go when the season begins, due to a knee injury sustained in the 2013 playoffs.
The Suns likely passed over Garrett due to the influx of guards they acquired over the offseason. The team acquired Eric Bledsoe, Ish Smith and Malcolm Lee through trades, drafted Kentucky combo-guard Archie Goodwin and recently signed Summer League standout Dionte Christmas. Phoenix heads into training camp with 17 players on the roster.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 12The Suns surprising run to start the season continues.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 12Al McCoy discuss the Suns big win against the Lakers and what is coming up next for the team.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.