Former Suns guard Diante Garrett signs with Oklahoma City
The 6-foot-4 Iowa State product split his time last year with the Suns and their D-League affiliate, the Bakersfield Jam. He averaged about 8 minutes a game in 19 contests with Phoenix.
The free agent guard also played with Phoenix's Summer League squad in July, but said he was treating his time there like it was a tryout for any of the 30 NBA teams. Garrett averaged 5.7 points and 3.9 assists in 16.7 minutes per game while coming off the bench in all seven of the Suns' Summer League contests.
The Thunder already has three points guards on its roster, but starter Russell Westbrook may not be ready to go when the season begins, due to a knee injury sustained in the 2013 playoffs.
The Suns likely passed over Garrett due to the influx of guards they acquired over the offseason. The team acquired Eric Bledsoe, Ish Smith and Malcolm Lee through trades, drafted Kentucky combo-guard Archie Goodwin and recently signed Summer League standout Dionte Christmas. Phoenix heads into training camp with 17 players on the roster.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday April 17What should we make of the Sunsí season?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.