Phoenix Suns rookie Alex Len: 'Rehab is going well'
Well, almost ready to play.
Len, whom the Suns drafted with the fifth overall pick in June, is one month removed from surgery on his right ankle.
The procedure, according to the Suns, was a precautionary measure, coming two months after he had surgery to repair a stress fracture in his other ankle.
"The (right) ankle is feeling great," Len said. "I've got like two more weeks of rehab; and then after two weeks, I'm going to start running and getting in shape.
"Rehab is going well. The main thing I don't have is any pain, so that's great."
The 7-foot-1 center out of Maryland had been in a walking boot, but it was absent Thursday night as he joined teammates Eric Bledsoe, Caron Butler, Archie Goodwin and P.J. Tucker in helping the Suns reveal their new uniforms at Scottsdale Fashion Square.
For a big man, having two foot surgeries in less than three months may be cause for concern, but not for Len.
"The doctors tell me…everything is going well, so I have nothing to worry about," he said. "I know we have a great training staff. I believe in them. I trust them. I know they're going to take care of me."
Despite all the time in the operating room, Len, who averaged 11.9 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2.1 blocks in his final college season, is on target to be ready by the start of training camp, something he's remained steadfast on since his pre-draft visit to Phoenix.
"I know it's going to be hard for me to start because I missed all the summer with my ankles," he said. "But I know I'm going to bring 150 percent of just effort. I'm going to dive for every loose ball. I'm going to try to earn my minutes by being aggressive and just hungry for the game."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday April 17What should we make of the Suns’ season?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.