Phoenix Suns rookie Alex Len: 'Rehab is going well'
Well, almost ready to play.
Len, whom the Suns drafted with the fifth overall pick in June, is one month removed from surgery on his right ankle.
The procedure, according to the Suns, was a precautionary measure, coming two months after he had surgery to repair a stress fracture in his other ankle.
"The (right) ankle is feeling great," Len said. "I've got like two more weeks of rehab; and then after two weeks, I'm going to start running and getting in shape.
"Rehab is going well. The main thing I don't have is any pain, so that's great."
The 7-foot-1 center out of Maryland had been in a walking boot, but it was absent Thursday night as he joined teammates Eric Bledsoe, Caron Butler, Archie Goodwin and P.J. Tucker in helping the Suns reveal their new uniforms at Scottsdale Fashion Square.
For a big man, having two foot surgeries in less than three months may be cause for concern, but not for Len.
"The doctors tell me…everything is going well, so I have nothing to worry about," he said. "I know we have a great training staff. I believe in them. I trust them. I know they're going to take care of me."
Despite all the time in the operating room, Len, who averaged 11.9 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2.1 blocks in his final college season, is on target to be ready by the start of training camp, something he's remained steadfast on since his pre-draft visit to Phoenix.
"I know it's going to be hard for me to start because I missed all the summer with my ankles," he said. "But I know I'm going to bring 150 percent of just effort. I'm going to dive for every loose ball. I'm going to try to earn my minutes by being aggressive and just hungry for the game."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t