Updated Aug 3, 2013 - 11:14 am
Phoenix Suns draftee Alex Oriakhi signs with French team
SunNGun.com reports Oriakhi, the 57th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, signed with Limoges CSP in France on Friday.
Oriakhi played in seven games with the Suns' Las Vegas Summer League squad, averaging just 2.3 points and 1.6 rebounds per game. He played three years at Connecticut and his senior year at Missouri before being drafted by the Suns. His lone year with Missouri was his best college campaign: He averaged 11.2 points and 8.4 rebounds per game while shooting 64 percent from the field.
Suns coach Jeff Hornacek appeared to favor Arinze Onuaku during the Summer League as a backup to Markieff and Marcus Morris. Onuaku, an undrafted Syracuse product, played more than twice as many minutes as Oriakhi.
With Oriakhi's departure, the Suns still have 16 players competing for a roster spot -- 17 if Onuaku is in the mix. The team acquired Miles Plumlee and Gerald Green in the Scola trade. One of those two players may get cut if Diante Garrett makes the final roster.
Markieff Morris and Channing Frye are expected to battle for the starting power forward spot this year. Markieff's brother, Marcus, may also see some time at PF, as will Michael Beasley.
Oriakhi played center in college, but he wouldn't have found playing time much easier for the Suns at that spot, since the team has Marcin Gortat, Plumlee and first-round draft pick Alex Len competing for minutes there.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.