Updated Jul 29, 2013 - 8:26 pm
Suns GM: Players acquired in Luis Scola deal can contribute next year
While most of the focus on the Suns' return centered around the pick -- which would give the team up to three first-round selections in the 2014 NBA Draft -- general manager Ryan McDonough told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that he's also excited about what Green and Plumlee can bring to the roster in the short term.
"Miles Plumlee looked very good for the Pacers Summer League for the second year in a row," McDonough said. "He's a good rebounder going back to his days at Duke.
"I like his character, rebounding and athleticism and think he will fit right in."
Plumlee was the 26th overall pick in the first round by the Pacers in the 2012 NBA Draft, but only played in 14 games for a veteran-laden team that was one win away from reaching the NBA Finals.
Green, the other player the Suns received in the three-player deal, was also a victim of the Pacers' depth.
The sixth-veteran appeared in only nine of the team's 19 playoff games, but did average seven points a game during the regular season.
"We (Celtics) drafted him in summer of 2005," McDonough said. "He always had athleticism and scoring ability, but needed to mature, which he has.
"He had a very good year with the Nets two years ago, but didn't play well last year with the Pacers, which I think was a product of the system. An exciting athlete that can run shoot and jump. So yes, both guys can play significant roles next year."
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t