Updated Jul 23, 2013 - 11:49 am
Phoenix Suns fall to Golden State in inaugural Summer League championship
Ian Clark led the Warriors in scoring with 33 points (including 7-10 three-pointers) off the bench and won the Most Valuable Player award of the championship game. Clark averaged just nine points a game going into Monday's contest.
The Suns were down only four going into the fourth quarter before the Warriors took control of the game.
Suns first round draft pick Archie Goodwin continued his strong play in the Summer Geague by leading the team with 18 points on 6-11 shooting.
Marcus Morris scored 17 points on 7-15 shooting with two three-pointers, while Markieff Morris added 10 points and seven rebounds, but shot 3-11.
P.J. Tucker said before Summer League started that he was only going to play a couple of games, but he saw extended time all the way through the end. He scored 12 points with five rebounds in the championship game, playing almost 24 minutes.
Kendall Marshall started the game, but coach Jeff Hornacek went with Diante Garrett to start the second half at point guard. Marshall finished with just two points and four assists on 1-4 shooting. Garrett's stats weren't much better: Four points and one assist.
The Suns were a perfect 6-0 before Monday's loss.
Jonas Valanciunas of the Toronto Raptors was named the Most Valuable Player of the NBA Summer League. He played in four games averaging 18.8 points and 10 rebounds.
Kent Bazemore (Golden State), John Henson (Milwaukee), Jeff Taylor (Charlotte) and Cody Zeller (Charlotte) joined Valanciunas as members of the All-NBA Summer League 2013 Team.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.