Updated Jul 20, 2013 - 8:18 am
Suns coach Jeff Hornacek sees a role for Kendall Marshall
Marshall is part of the Suns' undefeated Las Vegas Summer League team and is still feeling his way around, averaging 7.0 points and 4.0 assists per contest.
Considering all the change that happened with the organization this past offseason -- from the hiring of a new general manager and head coach to the acquisition of guards Eric Bledsoe and Archie Goodwin -- many are wondering what Marshall's place with the Suns is moving forward.
Head coach Jeff Hornacek isn't definitive about it, but does see the former North Carolina star playing a role.
"We've talked about it," Hornacek told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "The first vision is to see Goran (Dragic) and Eric (Bledsoe) out there together, but you need some other point guards out there.
"If we're trying to be a fast-breaking team, sure there's a spot for him. You never know how the roster is going to shake out at the end of the year -- with guys at the two-spot also, but we'll figure that out."
While Marshall's Summer League numbers are very similar to the stats he posted last year (7.0 points, 6.5 assists per game), there is an area where Hornacek has noticed some improvement in the point guard's game.
"He's shooting the ball with confidence," Hornacek said. "We wouldn't have won the second game of the Summer League without him making two big threes at the end of the game."
Marshall is shooting both .444 from the field and three-point range, which is a stark improvement over his 2012-13 regular season percentages of .371 from the field and .315 from three-point territory.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' future looks bright, but D-backs have proven nothing is guaranteed
- Duke freshman Jabari Parker declares for NBA draft
- Reserves lead Suns to season-ending win over Kings: By The Numbers
- Suns general manager Ryan McDonough: 'We'd like to have' Channing Frye back next season
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday April 17What should we make of the Sunsí season?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?