Updated Jul 20, 2013 - 8:18 am
Suns coach Jeff Hornacek sees a role for Kendall Marshall
Marshall is part of the Suns' undefeated Las Vegas Summer League team and is still feeling his way around, averaging 7.0 points and 4.0 assists per contest.
Considering all the change that happened with the organization this past offseason -- from the hiring of a new general manager and head coach to the acquisition of guards Eric Bledsoe and Archie Goodwin -- many are wondering what Marshall's place with the Suns is moving forward.
Head coach Jeff Hornacek isn't definitive about it, but does see the former North Carolina star playing a role.
"We've talked about it," Hornacek told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "The first vision is to see Goran (Dragic) and Eric (Bledsoe) out there together, but you need some other point guards out there.
"If we're trying to be a fast-breaking team, sure there's a spot for him. You never know how the roster is going to shake out at the end of the year -- with guys at the two-spot also, but we'll figure that out."
While Marshall's Summer League numbers are very similar to the stats he posted last year (7.0 points, 6.5 assists per game), there is an area where Hornacek has noticed some improvement in the point guard's game.
"He's shooting the ball with confidence," Hornacek said. "We wouldn't have won the second game of the Summer League without him making two big threes at the end of the game."
Marshall is shooting both .444 from the field and three-point range, which is a stark improvement over his 2012-13 regular season percentages of .371 from the field and .315 from three-point territory.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.