Suns coach Hornacek sees a 'very talented' player in Archie Goodwin
And he's turning some heads.
The former Kentucky guard is averaging 11.8 points and 3.0 rebounds per game, and while his shoot has been inconsistent, his athletic ability has not been.
Recalling a play Goodwin made where he jumped off the opposite foot and blocked a shot with his weak hand, Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said the 18-year-old is "very talented."
"He can fly up and down the court," he added. "You can see his speed and his ability. (When) he catches that ball out near the three point line on a fast break on the wing, it's a one dribble and dunk.
"He's had a couple of those."
Hornacek said his youngest player is "learning the game" but showing improvement, which is what the coaching staff likes to see.
Goodwin will be joining a fairly crowded backcourt. He was a point guard in college, but the Suns already have Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe and Kendall Marshall at the position. At 6-foot-5 and 198 pounds, there's a good chance Goodwin will see some time at the shooting guard position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.