Updated Jul 12, 2013 - 5:24 pm
Phoenix Suns sign draft pick Archie Goodwin
The terms of the deal have not yet been released.
The Suns acquired the rights to Goodwin -- the 29th overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft -- along with Malcolm Lee from the Golden State Warriors in exchange for the 30th overall pick.
Goodwin, 18, played one season at the University of Kentucky, averaging 14.1 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.7 assists while earning Freshman All-SEC honors. He was also adept at driving the lane and drawing fouls: His 212 free throw attempts last season led the SEC.
A shooting guard in college, the 6-foot-5 Goodwin also may play the point for the Suns. He will compete for playing time among a backcourt that includes leading-scorer Goran Dragic, Kendall Marshall, Shannon Brown, Diante Garrett, newly acquired Eric Bledsoe and possibly Wesley Johnson, if re-signed.
Coach Jeff Hornacek has said Goodwin will be an asset when the Suns run open offensive sets.
Goodwin is expected to make his NBA debut with the Suns' Las Vegas Summer League squad on Saturday.
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?