Suns GM Ryan McDonough not looking to move Marcin Gortat
But will there be more wheeling and dealing on the horizon for the rebuilding franchise?
Some of the most frequent trade rumors surrounding the Suns revolve around center Marcin Gortat. A deal that would send the seven-year veteran to the San Antonio Spurs was whispered about prior to June's NBA Draft, but never came to fruition.
Suns general manager Ryan McDonough told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 that there's a reason a deal didn't go down.
"Well, I'm certainly not looking to move Marcin," McDonough said Thursday. "We think he's a top-15 starting center in the NBA, and those guys are hard to find.
"We love his ability to rebound, to screen-and-roll, to finish around the basket, he's a pretty tough guy -- he's strong, he's athletic. Like I said, those guys are hard to find."
Gortat, whose second full season with the Suns was cut short by a foot injury suffered in March, averaged 11.1 points and 8.5 rebounds per game in 2012-13. Only 19 players in the NBA matched or bettered those averages, so there's obvious interest in a player like Gortat.
"I guess I understand some of the speculation when you draft a young center like we did with Alex Len, that (Gortat) might be moved or whatever, but that's certainly not something we're looking to do," McDonough said. "We feel like Alex is a guy who will take some time. He's just turned 20 years old, he's coming off of an injury, so we're going to be patient with him."
Gortat is entering the final year of his contract that will pay him over $7.7 million.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.