Summer Suns get the message: 'We're going to run'
"We'll know if they're in shape or not," the new Phoenix Suns head coach said Tuesday, following the team's first Summer League practice. "We want to push the ball."
"We're going to run a lot," Archie Goodwin said.
"(Hornacek) wants to get up-and-down, for sure," P.J. Tucker added with a laugh.
Now, three days and six practices later, how in shape are the guys, coach?
"They're not in the pushing shape, yet. They got better," Hornacek smiled and said Thursday. "I don't think they understood how much running it would be."
They do now.
"He wants us to run," Kendall Marshall said. "We definitely want to get up and down the court."
The first opportunity for Hornacek to see his guys get up and down the court comes Saturday against Portland, the first of what will be a five-game run in the Las Vegas Summer League.
"It's just a chance for us to get to know those guys; how they play, what we expect, the effort level, the passing part of it, the teamwork, the defensive stuff that we're putting in," Hornacek said. "They understand that we're out there showing these guys in the summer because that's what's going to carry over into the regular season. It gives them the opportunity to really know the level of commitment that we're asking these guys to give.
"Yeah you want to win," Hornacek continued. "You want to play well, but really what we want to see is the effort. If we go down there and we don't win, yeah we won't be happy about it, but if they're doing the things we're trying to instill and get set with these guys, we'll be happy."
And as long as they're pushing the tempo.
"That's really one thing that (Hornacek) stresses is for us to run. That's one of the things that we've really been keying in on," Goodwin said. "I think that's the best way to play, being able to play fast but with pace. If we master that, then we're going to be pretty good."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.