Updated Jul 11, 2013 - 5:00 pm
New Suns guard Eric Bledsoe introduced to the Valley
Thursday, Bledsoe and fellow former Los Angeles Clipper Caron Butler were finally introduced to the Phoenix media.
The 6-foot-1 Bledsoe has played both guard positions during his career, which begs the question: What role will he fill with the Suns?
"A basketball player," Bledsoe answered when asked about his position. "You put me at the five, you know I'm going to try and play the position the best way I can."
That attitude must be music to the ears of Suns GM Ryan McDonough, who received vast praise for pulling off the trade that sent popular veteran Jared Dudley to L.A. and a second-round pick to the Milwaukee Bucks.
"He's a guy that every team in the league was trying to get and we're thrilled to be able to get him here," McDonough said. "We think with more minutes and more of an opportunity here, with the way (head coach Jeff Hornacek) wants to play, he'll flourish in this environment."
Bledsoe averaged just 20.4 minutes per game with the Clippers last season, putting up 8.5 points and 3.1 assists per contest. He spent much of the last two seasons backing up Chris Paul at the point guard position. The former Kentucky Wildcat is glad to be free of that playing time situation.
"It's definitely a plus for me," Bledsoe said. "Unfortunately, I couldn't play as much as I wanted, because I was playing with an All-Star."
Bledsoe is projected to start in the backcourt with incumbent point guard Goran Dragic next season, and McDonough doesn't think having two natural leads guards playing together will be a problem.
"I think they'll play together great," he said. "One of the issues that I saw with the Suns last year was when Goran got doubled or teams took the ball out his hands, that the team struggled to make a play other than that.
"With Eric and Caron here, you've got to be careful with us now who you double, because these guys can make plays off the dribble and they can also knock down shots."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 5How did the Suns beat one of the best NBA offenses?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 4Ryan McDonough discusses the Suns' recent losses.
- The DISH - December 3, 2013 - Tuesday December 3Jon Bloom brings us this day in Suns' history.