Updated Jul 2, 2013 - 5:03 pm
Eric Bledsoe trade a good one for Phoenix Suns
I always believe the team that gets the best player wins the trade, and Phoenix got the best player here. In getting Eric Bledsoe, the Suns acquired a young, dynamic point guard that is a freak athlete, good shooter, makes game-changing plays on defense and is only 23 years old.
Now Bledsoe is no star, but he is a good talent. The knock on him is that he is somewhat overrated and the Clippers played around .500 ball when he started for the injured Chris Paul. He is not considered a hard worker and takes way too many gambles on defense that end up costing his team.
So with that being said, there are pluses and minuses, but he is a good good player and a great asset to have. He is under contract for one more year, so Bledsoe is eligible for a rookie extension come October, and he would be a restricted free agent in July if he doesn't re-sign with Phoenix in the fall. The Suns would have sign-and-trade options available if they can't re-sign him, but word I'm hearing is Phoenix will try and hammer out an extension.
As for having two point guards, Bledsoe and Goran Dragic can play together, and while the team will be a little small, it can work.
Butler is a 12-year vet in the final year of a deal paying him $8 million this season. I can't imagine he will be happy going from a starter on a 56-win team with the Clippers to a Suns team in rebuilding mode.
Butler is a big small forward, can shoot the three, is tough, hard-nosed and strong. The negatives on him are that he doesn't rebound, doesn't get up and down the court -- as he is more of a plodder -- doesn't defend and won't practice. If he is motivated by being in the last year of his deal he can be a good player for Phoenix, comparable to the player they traded away in Jared Dudley. He is a solid pickup for one year with $8 million in cap space when he walks at the end of the year.
Overall, a good trade for Phoenix.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.