Updated Jun 29, 2013 - 3:21 pm
Suns GM Ryan McDonough: 'We're not looking to move Marcin Gortat'
Case in point, Phoenix Suns center Marcin Gortat.
The Suns took Maryland big man Alex Len with the No. 5 overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft Thursday night, leaving many to wonder if the Polish Hammer's days in the Valley are numbered.
But for those looking at a potential departure date for Gortat, who averaged 11.1 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.6 blocks in 61 games last season, not so fast.
"We're not looking to move him," Suns general manager Ryan McDonough told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday. "As you guys I'm sure know, Alex had foot surgery, and he's not ready to play.
"Marcin is one of our best players here. He's a core guy for us. He is one of the more athletic bigs in the league, he screens, he rolls, he finishes and he blocks shots."
McDonough may hold Gortat in high esteem, but keeping him in Phoenix might not make a lot of sense given his expected price tag after the 2013-14 season and the potential logjam moving forward between he and Len in the middle.
"I don't know," said McDonough when asked about Gortat's long-term future with the organization. "We'll see after July 1 what he and his agent have in mind. I haven't had any discussions about that yet, but we do have him under contract for another year."
In regards to the short-term, however, the Suns GM was a little bit more clear on Gortat's role with the team.
"We're going into the year with him as our starting center."
Gortat, who has started all 127 games he's played in over the last two seasons, is coming off an injury of his own -- a Lisfranc sprain in his right foot that ended his 2012-13 season in early March.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.