Updated Jun 27, 2013 - 9:58 pm
Phoenix Suns select Alex Oriakhi with No. 57 overall pick
But Ryan McDonough and Co. went a step further with their final selection Thursday night, taking Missouri forward Alex Oriakhi with the No. 57 overall pick.
Oriakhi, who averaged 11.2 points and 8.4 rebounds per game his senior season, played three years at Connecticut (2009-12) before transferring to Missouri before the 2012-13 season.
"I've watched Alex over the course of his career, he's a Boston guy," McDonough said. "So, I've seen him play since high school. Watched him a lot at UConn, you know when I was with the Celtics that was a local team for us. I was at a bunch of their games. And once saw him play this last year at Missouri.
"Alex was a key part of the UConn team that won the National Championship [in 2011]. He's got good size and strength. He's a good rebounder. He plays hard, and he's a good kid."
Oriakhi was the second SEC player (Archie Goodwin, Kentucky) taken by the Suns Thursday night.
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.