Updated Jun 27, 2013 - 9:58 pm
Phoenix Suns select Alex Oriakhi with No. 57 overall pick
But Ryan McDonough and Co. went a step further with their final selection Thursday night, taking Missouri forward Alex Oriakhi with the No. 57 overall pick.
Oriakhi, who averaged 11.2 points and 8.4 rebounds per game his senior season, played three years at Connecticut (2009-12) before transferring to Missouri before the 2012-13 season.
"I've watched Alex over the course of his career, he's a Boston guy," McDonough said. "So, I've seen him play since high school. Watched him a lot at UConn, you know when I was with the Celtics that was a local team for us. I was at a bunch of their games. And once saw him play this last year at Missouri.
"Alex was a key part of the UConn team that won the National Championship [in 2011]. He's got good size and strength. He's a good rebounder. He plays hard, and he's a good kid."
Oriakhi was the second SEC player (Archie Goodwin, Kentucky) taken by the Suns Thursday night.
- Phoenix Suns owner: The only question is how much we'll be paying Eric Bledsoe
- Tweaks -- not major changes -- ahead for the Phoenix Suns
- GM: Eric Bledsoe will be a Phoenix Suns player 'for a long time'
- Pau Gasol to the Phoenix Suns makes a lot of sense
- ESPN NBA analyst: Suns have nothing to be ashamed of
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?
- Jon Barry, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 18Who is the team to beat in the East?
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org