Updated Jun 27, 2013 - 9:58 pm
Phoenix Suns select Alex Oriakhi with No. 57 overall pick
But Ryan McDonough and Co. went a step further with their final selection Thursday night, taking Missouri forward Alex Oriakhi with the No. 57 overall pick.
Oriakhi, who averaged 11.2 points and 8.4 rebounds per game his senior season, played three years at Connecticut (2009-12) before transferring to Missouri before the 2012-13 season.
"I've watched Alex over the course of his career, he's a Boston guy," McDonough said. "So, I've seen him play since high school. Watched him a lot at UConn, you know when I was with the Celtics that was a local team for us. I was at a bunch of their games. And once saw him play this last year at Missouri.
"Alex was a key part of the UConn team that won the National Championship [in 2011]. He's got good size and strength. He's a good rebounder. He plays hard, and he's a good kid."
Oriakhi was the second SEC player (Archie Goodwin, Kentucky) taken by the Suns Thursday night.
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic 'just having fun'
- Phoenix Suns GM McDonough says Plumlee, Frye made Marcin Gortat expendable
- Grantland writer: Phoenix Suns are 'the best story in the league'
- Phoenix Suns coach: Surprising start attributed to talent, effort and teamwork
- Suns Strokes: Suns hold off Warriors behind stellar shooting, defense in final moments
- Ryan McDonough, Suns GM - Tuesday December 17Miles Plumlee has thrived since the Marcin Gortat trade.
- Frank Isola, NY Daily News - Tuesday December 17The mess that is the NY Knicks, and what an east coast analyst thinks of the Suns.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday December 17What is the future for the Suns back court?
- The DISH - December 15, 2013 - Sunday December 15Jon Bloom gives us this day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - December 13, 2013 - Friday December 13Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.