Updated Jun 28, 2013 - 8:35 am
Suns select Kentucky guard Archie Goodwin with No. 29 overall pick
The Suns acquired the No. 29 pick, Goodwin, along with guard Malcolm Lee in a trade with the Golden State Warriors.
During his freshman season, Goodwin led Kentucky with 14.1 points per game. The 6-foot-4 guard also averaged 4.6 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game during his lone year in Lexington. He earned Freshman All-SEC honors, and his 466 total points were the 10th-most scored by a Kentucky freshman.
The selection of Goodwin, a McDonald's All-American in 2012, marks the second time in as many years the Suns have used a first-round pick on a point guard (Kendall Marshall, 2012).
Goodwin was the second Kentucky player (Nerlens Noel) selected in the first round of the 2013 NBA Draft, and the 13th Wildcat to be taken in the top 30 since 2010.
Lee has played in just 35 games in two seasons with the Minnesota Timberwolves after they acquired him in a draft night trade with the Chicago Bulls in 2011. The 6-foot-5 shooting guard did start 12 games for Minnesota last season, and averaged 5.4 points and 2.8 rebounds per game in that role.
Lee had surgery on his right hip and right knee in January.
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.