Updated Jun 28, 2013 - 6:02 pm
Phoenix Suns select C Alex Len with the fifth pick in the NBA Draft
Len averaged 11.9 points and 7.8 rebounds per game during his sophomore season in school. He was a member of the All-ACC Defensive Team as he led the conference with 2.1 blocked shots per game.
"We're really excited to have Alex Len with the fifth pick," Suns general manager Ryan McDonough said. "We feel like Alex is one of the top players in the draft. He's a good who just turned 20 years old, he's 7-foot-1, he's extremely skilled.
"He's had good success at the college level, but we think he's just scratching the surface of his potential as a player, and we were thrilled to get him at five."
The Ukrainian is a very raw talent that possesses a lot of potential. Len is very good defensively with an improving offensive game in the post. He also has the tools to be a prolific rebounder in the NBA.
He is expected to be out of action into the early part of the regular season due to a stress fracture in his left ankle.
Len may not make much of an impact for the Suns this season, but could be a cog in the middle of the paint for many years to come.
- McDonough: Len's Maryland teammates held him back
- Babby: Alex Len was Ryan McDonough's choice
- Alex Len 2013 NBA Draft Scouting Report
- Burns: Wanted McLemore but will give Suns a chance
- Green: Len an underwhelming pick
- Suns GM : 'When Alex was there, decision was clear'
- Alex Len anxious to get to work with Suns
- Hornacek, Suns thrilled to get Alex Len
- Len's girlfriend records video from draft room
- Alex Len 2012-2013 highlights
- Reaction to Suns' selection of Alex Len
- Suns Draft Candidate: Alex Len
- Suns select C Alex Len
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.