Updated Jun 26, 2013 - 9:51 pm
ESPN Insider: Oladipo and McLemore should both be gone when Suns pick
The chances of that happening, however, are small according to one NBA insider.
"I see both of those guys, in all likelihood, gone by five," ESPN's Tom Penn told Dave Burns and John Gambadoro Wednesday on Arizona Sports 620.
Gambadoro outlined a scenario which was relayed to him by a high-ranking NBA executive that had McLemore being taken by the Orlando Magic with the number-two pick and Oladipo being nabbed by the Charlotte Bobcats at number four. Penn agreed that neither would be available for Phoenix.
"Oladipo's the safest pick. He's going to hit his ceiling, okay, he's going to max out whatever he's got. The only question is how high is that ceiling going to be, but he's the best worker in the draft, highest character, sure thing for whatever he is," Penn said. "And McLemore is the best talent. So he's got the highest ceiling, where you're taking a little risk, get him into a good system, get him structured and he could be the best player in this whole draft."
For those reasons, Penn has both players being taken in the first four selections. So what does that leave for the Suns at number five?
"In the scenarios we're talking about, you get into (UNLV forward Anthony) Bennett and you get into (Georgetown forward Otto) Porter -- he's a solid pick, he's going to be a good NBA player, a 10-year NBA player," Penn said. "I think in that scenario, I might take Otto Porter."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.