Updated Jun 26, 2013 - 8:24 am
If it comes to it, Suns should pick Ben McLemore over Victor Oladipo
McLemore has two elite qualities. He is flat-out amazing athletically and he has a great stroke. Those are two really good qualities. Now you've probably heard rumblings about McLemore lacking passion and competitiveness. Don't buy it. The kid competes hard.
What he doesn't have is a takeover mentality and there is a simple explanation to that -- he doesn't have a takeover game. He has to rely on guards to get him the ball and his shots. He doesn't dominate the ball the way a Victor Oladipo does.
Now I love Oladipo, and he would be a great pick. My comparison to him is not Dwyane Wade but a miniature Jason Richardson. Oladipo is an undersized two-guard, but he has a great motor, is highly-skilled, athletic and tough.
The difference between McLemore and Oladipo right now is that Oladipo is a man and McLemore is a naive kid. Out of the gate, Oladipo will be better, more productive. But McLemore has way more upside.
There is a chance both could be there when the Suns pick, although I'm a little concerned about Orlando throwing a monkey wrench in the draft by taking McLemore.
But if both are there, McLemore should be the pick.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.