Updated Jun 26, 2013 - 8:24 am
If it comes to it, Suns should pick Ben McLemore over Victor Oladipo
McLemore has two elite qualities. He is flat-out amazing athletically and he has a great stroke. Those are two really good qualities. Now you've probably heard rumblings about McLemore lacking passion and competitiveness. Don't buy it. The kid competes hard.
What he doesn't have is a takeover mentality and there is a simple explanation to that -- he doesn't have a takeover game. He has to rely on guards to get him the ball and his shots. He doesn't dominate the ball the way a Victor Oladipo does.
Now I love Oladipo, and he would be a great pick. My comparison to him is not Dwyane Wade but a miniature Jason Richardson. Oladipo is an undersized two-guard, but he has a great motor, is highly-skilled, athletic and tough.
The difference between McLemore and Oladipo right now is that Oladipo is a man and McLemore is a naive kid. Out of the gate, Oladipo will be better, more productive. But McLemore has way more upside.
There is a chance both could be there when the Suns pick, although I'm a little concerned about Orlando throwing a monkey wrench in the draft by taking McLemore.
But if both are there, McLemore should be the pick.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t