Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 9:35 am
Could Phoenix Suns make a run at J.R. Smith?
But the beginning of free agency is also right around the corner, and the Phoenix Suns will be on the hunt for talent on that front as well.
According to Newsday basketball writer Al Iannazzone, the Suns might have their eye on a high-scoring two-guard.
But a team that could make a hard push J.R. Smith is the Suns, I've heard.— Al Iannazzone (@Al_Iannazzone) June 25, 2013
Smith declined a player option with the Knicks earlier this month, which will make him an unrestricted free agent July 1.
Iannazzone did write Monday that the Knicks would still like to re-sign Smith once he hits the open market, and could do so at about $5 million per season for at least two years -- a substantial raise from the $2.9 million he would have made had he exercised his option.
Smith, a nine-year veteran, is coming off his best season as a pro. In 80 games off the Knicks' bench, the 6-foot-6 guard averaged a career-high 18.1 points per game and won the NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award for the first time in his career.
Smith would fill a need for the Suns, who lacked punch from their two-guard position in 2012-13 -- a season in which they won just 25 games and ranked 21st in the league in scoring at 95.2 points per game.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.