Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 9:35 am
Could Phoenix Suns make a run at J.R. Smith?
But the beginning of free agency is also right around the corner, and the Phoenix Suns will be on the hunt for talent on that front as well.
According to Newsday basketball writer Al Iannazzone, the Suns might have their eye on a high-scoring two-guard.
But a team that could make a hard push J.R. Smith is the Suns, I've heard.— Al Iannazzone (@Al_Iannazzone) June 25, 2013
Smith declined a player option with the Knicks earlier this month, which will make him an unrestricted free agent July 1.
Iannazzone did write Monday that the Knicks would still like to re-sign Smith once he hits the open market, and could do so at about $5 million per season for at least two years -- a substantial raise from the $2.9 million he would have made had he exercised his option.
Smith, a nine-year veteran, is coming off his best season as a pro. In 80 games off the Knicks' bench, the 6-foot-6 guard averaged a career-high 18.1 points per game and won the NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award for the first time in his career.
Smith would fill a need for the Suns, who lacked punch from their two-guard position in 2012-13 -- a season in which they won just 25 games and ranked 21st in the league in scoring at 95.2 points per game.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- The DISH - March 12, 2013 - Wednesday March 12Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns' History.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea