Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 1:41 pm
Suns Draft Candidate: Otto Porter Jr.
Otto Porter - Georgetown - Small forward
Porter hails from southeast Missouri, and is a product of Scott County Central High School. While in high school, Porter helped lead his school to three straight state titles before graduating in 2011.
The small town kid went from a graduating class consisting of 32 people to a prominent university where he put his talents on display.
The Georgetown small forward spent two seasons with the Hoyas. In Porter's freshman campaign, he averaged 9.7 points and a team-leading 6.8 rebounds in 33 games -- eight of which he started. In his sophomore season, he averaged 16.2 points and 7.5 rebounds per game, while shooting 48 percent from the floor and 42.2 percent from downtown.
He averaged 12.8 points and 7.1 rebounds in his two years at the collegiate level. Porter was a first team All-American and the Big East Player of the Year in 2012-13.
Porter isn't flashy, but he's versatile. The 6-foot-9, 198-pounder can be a scoring threat from the field and three-point range, he can rebound the ball with ease, and is a strong defensive-minded player.
Porter Highlight Video
Scouting Report Snippets
Chad Ford of ESPN has Porter rated as the top small forward and third-best overall prospect in this year's draft. Ford lauds Porter's ball-handling ability, midrange game, unselfish passing and elite defensive skills. Like many other prospects, Ford points out that Porter needs to get stronger at the NBA level and can disappear at times on the offensive end.
Draft Express praises Porter for progressing to a go-to player for the Hoyas in his sophomore season. Porter played more minutes and had more responsibility on the court, but still delivered impressive numbers in each area of the game.
Otto Porter Jr. Scouting Video
Porter Combine Interview
Phoenix Suns Connection
Porter did not work out with the Suns in preparation for the 2013 NBA Draft.
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.