Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 1:40 pm
Suns Draft Candidate: Victor Oladipo
Victor Oladipo - Indiana - Shooting guard
Unlike many players who are being considered by the Phoenix Suns with their fifth overall selection, Victor Oladipo wasn't a blue-chip recruit coming out of high school. He averaged 11.9 points and 10.3 rebounds for famed DeMatha High in Maryland, helping the Stags to a 32-4 record.
However, he was only a three-star recruit who was ranked as the 41st-best shooting guard in the class of 2010.
Oladipo averaged 18 minutes per game as a freshman and started five games, but didn't become a full-time starter until his sophomore season. As a junior in 2012-13, the 6-foot-5 guard developed into one of the best collegiate players in the country, helping IU to a 29-7 record, a regular season Big Ten title and a trip to the NCAA Sweet 16.
Oladipo was named Sporting News' National Player of the Year, was named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and was a member of the NABC, USBWA, Associated Press and John R. Wooden All-American teams. His .599 field goal percentage was tops in the country among guards by a wide margin.
Oladipo Highlight Video
Scouting Report Snippets
Chad Ford of ESPN has Oladipo ranked as the top shooting guard and second-overall prospect in the 2013 NBA Draft. Ford cites his athleticism, leaping ability, toughness, defensive ability, non-stop motor and improving jump shot as Oladipo's biggest strengths while also saying his size and tendency to turn the ball over are his weaknesses.
Draft Express raves about Oladipo's defense and what they call his "relentless motor" as his biggest strengths. On the downside, his ball-handling and playmaking ability are weaknesses.
Victor Oladipo Scouting Video
Oladipo Combine Interview
Phoenix Suns Connection
Oladipo worked out for the Suns June 5, and according to reports, team brass fell "in love" with his game and attitude.
"The Suns have a good program on the rise. Their style of play fits me well and I am familiar with their coach. I know about him (Jeff Hornacek) well history-wise. He was a really good player in Utah and I connected with him on a personal level earlier today." -- Victor Oladipo
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.