Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 1:37 pm
Suns Draft Candidate: Ben McLemore
Ben McLemore - Kansas - Shooting Guard
Ben McLemore started his high school career at Wellston High School in the St. Louis area and averaged over 28 points per game as a junior. But his stock really soared after Wellston closed and he transferred to basketball factory Oak Hill Academy in Virginia for his senior season. But there, McLemore was kicked off the team for a violation of rules. He ended up at Christian Life Center in Texas and was arrested for not showing up to a court date for a minor in possession of alcohol charge.
McLemore didn't qualify academically to play as a freshman in 2011-12, but when he did get on the court as a redshirt the following season, the 6-foot-5 guard immediately opened eyes around the country. McLemore scored 25 points in his third collegiate game -- a 69-55 win over Chattanooga. In fact, he'd go on to lead the Jayhawks in scoring at 15.9 points per game.
McLemore was a second-team AP All-American and helped KU advance to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.
Ben McLemore Highlight Video
McLemore Scouting Video
Scouting Report Snippets
Chad Ford of ESPN raves about McLemore's athletic and shooting ability, calling him an "explosive leaper" and an elite shooter with deep range and a quick release. But Ford also references the most popular knock on McLemore -- the fact that he can disappear in games. The 20-year-old had just 7 points in the Big 12 Tournament Championship Game against Kansas State, and went 0-for-9 from the field in an NCAA Tournament win over North Carolina.
Draft Express lauds McLemore's shooting mechanics and athleticism but says as as ball-handler, he's very much a work in progress. They say he has the potential to be a terrific defensive player.
Ben McLemore Combine Interview
Phoenix Suns Connection
"It was kind of hard working out by yourself, but I pushed myself through it and coach (Jeff Hornacek) helped me through that, talking to me and getting me through it. It was a great workout. My time here has been great so far." -- Ben McLemore
June 24 - Chad Ford of ESPN told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 that McLemore "struggled" in his Phoenix workout and wasn't in great shape.
- Suns GM McDonough not surprised by Phoenix's strong start
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Film study aiding defensive effort of Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.