Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 1:37 pm
Suns Draft Candidate: Michael Carter-Williams
Michael Carter-Williams - Syracuse - Point Guard
Michael Carter-Williams was the 29th-best high school prospect in the class of 2011 according to Rivals.com, but didn't make an immediate impact in his first year at Syracuse.
As a freshman, the 6-foot-6 guard played in 26 games, but only averaged 10 minutes per contest for head coach Jim Boeheim.
Carter-Williams showed immediate improvement as a sophomore, scoring 17 points while handing out four assists and coming up with five steals in a convincing neutral court win over San Diego State in the season opener.
In 2012-13, Carter-Williams had 11 games with 10 or more assists and his 7.3 assists per game ranked third in the nation.
He was the floor general for a Syracuse squad that advanced to the Final Four for the first time since 2003.
Carter-Williams Highlight Mix:
Scouting Report Snippets
• Chad Ford of ESPN hails Carter-Williams as great ball handler with a quick first step who can score from anywhere on the floor. On the down side, like many young college athletes, Ford believes Carter-Williams needs to get stronger to succeed in the NBA and could use some work on his three-point shooting (he shot just 29 percent from behind the arc as a sophomore.)
• Draft Express knocks Carter-Williams' turnover rate (which is the second-worst among point guards in the draft) and his ability as a shooter, citing that he hit only 26.2 percent of his pull-up jumpers and 28 percent off the catch.
Michael Carter-Williams Scouting Video
Michael Carter-Williams Combine Interview
Phoenix Suns Connection
Michael Carter-Williams worked out for the Suns June 6 and tweeted June 23 about a second visit to the Valley.
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Film study aiding defensive effort of Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker
- Phoenix Suns enjoy brief break, ready to resume playing
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 5How did the Suns beat one of the best NBA offenses?