Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 1:37 pm
Suns Draft Candidate: Michael Carter-Williams
Michael Carter-Williams - Syracuse - Point Guard
Michael Carter-Williams was the 29th-best high school prospect in the class of 2011 according to Rivals.com, but didn't make an immediate impact in his first year at Syracuse.
As a freshman, the 6-foot-6 guard played in 26 games, but only averaged 10 minutes per contest for head coach Jim Boeheim.
Carter-Williams showed immediate improvement as a sophomore, scoring 17 points while handing out four assists and coming up with five steals in a convincing neutral court win over San Diego State in the season opener.
In 2012-13, Carter-Williams had 11 games with 10 or more assists and his 7.3 assists per game ranked third in the nation.
He was the floor general for a Syracuse squad that advanced to the Final Four for the first time since 2003.
Carter-Williams Highlight Mix:
Scouting Report Snippets
• Chad Ford of ESPN hails Carter-Williams as great ball handler with a quick first step who can score from anywhere on the floor. On the down side, like many young college athletes, Ford believes Carter-Williams needs to get stronger to succeed in the NBA and could use some work on his three-point shooting (he shot just 29 percent from behind the arc as a sophomore.)
• Draft Express knocks Carter-Williams' turnover rate (which is the second-worst among point guards in the draft) and his ability as a shooter, citing that he hit only 26.2 percent of his pull-up jumpers and 28 percent off the catch.
Michael Carter-Williams Scouting Video
Michael Carter-Williams Combine Interview
Phoenix Suns Connection
Michael Carter-Williams worked out for the Suns June 6 and tweeted June 23 about a second visit to the Valley.
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.