Suns GM Ryan McDonough: 5th pick affects our later picks
"My general draft philosophy is to draft the best available player regardless of position," he said the night of the draft lottery when it was learned the Suns would select fifth overall.
McDonough hasn't changed his tune since then.
Sure, there are players he favors over others.
Which ones? Good question.
McDonough chose his words carefully when speaking to reporters after each pre-draft workout, of which there were 12 held over the past month on the practice court at US Airways Center.
He did, however, present this bit of information.
"What we do at 30 and 57 will probably depend on what we do at five," he said. "I think it can be difficult to bring in multiple guys at the same position or similar position as rookies. Sometimes I think they stunt each other's growth, so depending on what we do at five that could affect what we do at 30."
Wait, did McDonough just tip his hand?
Hardly. It's just common sense, really.
"We ran into this one year in Boston," he said. "I'm not going to mention the guys' names, but other team's have as well where they draft guys who are pretty similar and then really neither one of them get a chance, in my opinion. Some guy will play a few minutes here. Some guy will play a few minutes there. It's hard to develop both of them if they can only play the same position. Now, if they're versatile, can play a primary position, secondary position, then you might be able to develop both of them.
"That's what I'm trying to avoid is drafting two guys," McDonough continued, "even if you like both of them and they're the best player at that range, then it's hard to develop both of them at the same time."
The Suns' needs are many.
No position is off limits, including point guard where Goran Dragic is signed long term and Kendall Marshall was drafted a year ago.
"You guys know our team. You know our roster," McDonough said. "We need some help on the wing, the 2 and the 3."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.