Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 1:32 pm
Suns Draft Candidate: Anthony Bennett
Anthony Bennett - UNLV - Power Forward
Anthony Bennett, a 6-foot-8 forward out of UNLV, may have only played one season of college basketball, but he did more than enough to put himself in the draft lottery.
As a freshman, Bennett averaged 16.1 points and 8.1 rebounds per game while leading the Running Rebels to a 25-10 record and appearances in the Mountain West Tournament final and NCAA Tournament.
At 240 pounds Bennett primarily played the post for UNLV, but the Ontario native was an efficient shooter from deep, hitting on 37 percent of his three-point attempts.
Despite his stellar freshman season (First Team All-MWC), Bennett was unable to participate in the NBA Combine and individual draft workouts after undergoing rotator cuff surgery on his left shoulder May 8.
Bennett Highlight Mix:
Scouting Report Snippets
• Chad Ford of ESPN notes that Bennett has a skill set and a body that is ready for the NBA. According to Ford, the UNLV standout is an excellent leaper who finishes well at the basket and on the perimeter. While Bennett can score in a multitude of ways, Ford said his footwork in the post could use some work.
• Draft Express ranked Bennett as the top power forward prospect and raved about his ability to finish at and above the basket. The one knock on Bennett is his lack of a one-on-one game in the paint.
Anthony Bennett Scouting Video
Anthony Bennett visited with the Suns June 8, but did not work out as he is recovering from a shoulder injury.
"I think he's primarily a four but can step out and play the three. Anthony is very skilled, he's strong, he has huge shoulders and long arms. I think he shot 37 percent from three in college. He's versatile, that's one of the strengths of his game." -- Suns GM Ryan McDonough
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.