Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 1:32 pm
Suns Draft Candidate: Anthony Bennett
Anthony Bennett - UNLV - Power Forward
Anthony Bennett, a 6-foot-8 forward out of UNLV, may have only played one season of college basketball, but he did more than enough to put himself in the draft lottery.
As a freshman, Bennett averaged 16.1 points and 8.1 rebounds per game while leading the Running Rebels to a 25-10 record and appearances in the Mountain West Tournament final and NCAA Tournament.
At 240 pounds Bennett primarily played the post for UNLV, but the Ontario native was an efficient shooter from deep, hitting on 37 percent of his three-point attempts.
Despite his stellar freshman season (First Team All-MWC), Bennett was unable to participate in the NBA Combine and individual draft workouts after undergoing rotator cuff surgery on his left shoulder May 8.
Bennett Highlight Mix:
Scouting Report Snippets
• Chad Ford of ESPN notes that Bennett has a skill set and a body that is ready for the NBA. According to Ford, the UNLV standout is an excellent leaper who finishes well at the basket and on the perimeter. While Bennett can score in a multitude of ways, Ford said his footwork in the post could use some work.
• Draft Express ranked Bennett as the top power forward prospect and raved about his ability to finish at and above the basket. The one knock on Bennett is his lack of a one-on-one game in the paint.
Anthony Bennett Scouting Video
Anthony Bennett visited with the Suns June 8, but did not work out as he is recovering from a shoulder injury.
"I think he's primarily a four but can step out and play the three. Anthony is very skilled, he's strong, he has huge shoulders and long arms. I think he shot 37 percent from three in college. He's versatile, that's one of the strengths of his game." -- Suns GM Ryan McDonough
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 5How did the Suns beat one of the best NBA offenses?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 4Ryan McDonough discusses the Suns' recent losses.
- The DISH - December 3, 2013 - Tuesday December 3Jon Bloom brings us this day in Suns' history.