Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 1:32 pm
Suns Draft Candidate: Anthony Bennett
Anthony Bennett - UNLV - Power Forward
Anthony Bennett, a 6-foot-8 forward out of UNLV, may have only played one season of college basketball, but he did more than enough to put himself in the draft lottery.
As a freshman, Bennett averaged 16.1 points and 8.1 rebounds per game while leading the Running Rebels to a 25-10 record and appearances in the Mountain West Tournament final and NCAA Tournament.
At 240 pounds Bennett primarily played the post for UNLV, but the Ontario native was an efficient shooter from deep, hitting on 37 percent of his three-point attempts.
Despite his stellar freshman season (First Team All-MWC), Bennett was unable to participate in the NBA Combine and individual draft workouts after undergoing rotator cuff surgery on his left shoulder May 8.
Bennett Highlight Mix:
Scouting Report Snippets
• Chad Ford of ESPN notes that Bennett has a skill set and a body that is ready for the NBA. According to Ford, the UNLV standout is an excellent leaper who finishes well at the basket and on the perimeter. While Bennett can score in a multitude of ways, Ford said his footwork in the post could use some work.
• Draft Express ranked Bennett as the top power forward prospect and raved about his ability to finish at and above the basket. The one knock on Bennett is his lack of a one-on-one game in the paint.
Anthony Bennett Scouting Video
Anthony Bennett visited with the Suns June 8, but did not work out as he is recovering from a shoulder injury.
"I think he's primarily a four but can step out and play the three. Anthony is very skilled, he's strong, he has huge shoulders and long arms. I think he shot 37 percent from three in college. He's versatile, that's one of the strengths of his game." -- Suns GM Ryan McDonough
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.