Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 1:27 pm
Suns Draft Candidate: Trey Burke
Trey Burke - Michigan - Point Guard
Trey Burke, the 6-foot-1 guard out of Michigan, not only had the best sophomore season of any prospect going into this year's draft, but arguably the best season any prospect had in 2012-13.
In his second collegiate season, Burke improved in almost every major statistical category: points (18.6 per game), assists (6.7 per game), field goal percentage (46.3), three-point percentage (38.4), turnovers (2.2) en route to winning the AP, Naismith and Wooden Awards as the nation's best college player.
With Burke leading the way, the Wolverines made it to the 2013 National Championship Game for the first time since 1993.
Burke Highlight Mix:
Scouting Report Snippets
• Chad Ford of ESPN points out that Burke is a strong, physical guard who distributes the basketball well and can get to the basket with ease. He's also a proficient shooter who scores well off the dribble or on the perimeter. While Burke's size is a bit of a concern, Ford said the Michigan guard's biggest weakness heading into the NBA is his defensive intensity.
• Draft Express ranked Burke as the top point guard prospect in a class that features Michael Carter-Williams and C.J. McCollum, and noted that he has a pull-up jump shot on par with 2012-13 Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard.
Trey Burke Scouting Video
Trey Burke Draft Combine Interview
Phoenix Suns Connection
"You can tell he works hard, he's got a nice shot and a great ball handle. In the little pick-and-rolls we did, you can tell he knows how to handle those. He's able to get around guys and he holds guys off from tape that you see." -- Suns head coach Jeff Hornacek
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.