Updated Jun 16, 2013 - 2:59 pm
Ryan McDonough gives new Suns' assistant GM high praise
Saturday, McDonough was asked about Pat Connelly, who along with Trevor Bukstein will work as an assistant general manager with the Suns, and the 33-year-old gave a glowing review.
"Pat brings a wealth of scouting knowledge at all levels," McDonough said. "I've been around the world with Pat scouting, and all over Europe at different locations. He knows the college guys, he knows the high school guys. He's been watching players a long time at different levels."
Connelly previously worked from 2006-2013 with the Washington Wizards, including the past two seasons as the team's VP of Player Personnel. Before his time with the Wizards, the Suns new assistant GM served as a graduate assistant for Baylor and as an assistant coach for the Brighton Bears out of the British League.
"For me, it was important to bring in somebody as I talked about at my introductory press conference who is a master evaluator and a worldwide scout who knows all the players at different levels and can compare them," said McDonough. "I think Pat's one of the better guys in the NBA, if not the world at doing that."
McDonough noted that while he never worked directly with Connelly in the past, from their limited conversations on the road, he was impressed by the Baltimore native's knowledge and work ethic.
Connelly's older brother, Tim, currently holds the same position with the New Orleans Pelicans under Del Demps.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.