Updated Jun 11, 2013 - 12:45 pm
Phoenix Suns are not opposed to drafting a point guard
It seemed a little curious, because the team's big money acquisition would essentially block its lottery pick from seeing the court.
Well, both Marshall and Dragic are still on the roster, which means one would think the team has little interest in using the number five pick in this year's draft on a floor general, right? Not exactly.
"The Suns are absolutely, 100 percent not against drafting a point guard, even though they have Goran Dragic," Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro said on Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "So anybody that thinks they won't draft a point guard...not so fast my friends."
Gambadoro said the players most intriguing to the Suns are Michigan's Trey Burke, Kansas' Ben McLemore, Indiana's Victor Oladipo and Syracuse's Michael Carter-Williams. Burke and Carter-Williams are point guards, while McLemore and Oladipo are off guards.
Should it come down to the latter two, Gambadoro says it's essentially a toss-up for the team.
"They definitely like both players, but I don't know that one guy has an edge on the other two weeks before (the draft)," he said.
Then there are those point guards.
The Suns, Gambadoro reported, came away very impressed with Carter-Williams after his workout with the team, as the 6-foot-6 player shot the ball well. However, if the Suns decide to go the point guard route they will likely have to choose between him and Burke, who was the consensus national player of the year in 2012-13. There's no knowing which of the two the team prefers, but it does seem like they're more interested in adding to their backcourt rather than their frontcourt.
That said, should Kentucky's Nerlens Noel fall to them at five, they'd really have something to think about.
"I know the Suns like him too," Gambadoro said.
Noel is coming off ACL surgery and likely won't see action until December, at the earliest, which is why the projected top pick could slide a bit.
Assuming he doesn't, Gambadoro says the Suns will likely choose one of McLemore, Oladipo, Burke or Carter-Williams.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t