Updated Jun 6, 2013 - 2:34 pm
Phoenix Suns bring in four point guards for pre-draft workout
The team selected North Carolina point guard Kendall Marshall with their first-round draft pick, shipped Steve Nash to the Los Angeles Lakers in a sign-and-trade deal and inked Goran Dragic to a four-year, $34 million contact.
A year later, the Suns may be tinkering with the position again -- at least if the list of attendees of Thursday's pre-draft workout means anything.
Phoenix brought four point guards -- Michigan's Trey Burke, Michael Carter-Williams of Syracuse, Miami's Shane Larkin and Iowa State's Korie Lucious -- in for workouts. Combo guard CJ McCollum of Lehigh also participated. Burke, like Kansas guard Ben McLemore on Wednesday, worked out individually.
Suns general manager Ryan McDonough acknowledged that point guard isn't a huge need moving forward, but he's keeping an open mind heading into the draft June 27.
"We are comfortable with (Dragic and Marshall), but like I said when I took the job and that continues now, we're going to take the best player," he said. "So, with the fifth pick, we're going to work them all out and if those guys are the best where we're picking -- obviously you factor your roster into it somewhat -- but if one of these guys emerges as a clear best player at five, we'll take him."
Teams like Denver and Golden State had success in the 2012-13 season with lineups featuring two point guards on the floor. McDonough thinks that's a trend that could grow around the league.
"I think there will be a lot of that," he said. "Most teams, us included, feel like you need a secondary ball handler because a lot of defenses now will trap the point guard, whoever the primary ball handler is. When he gives the ball up, you need somebody who can catch it and make a play, otherwise the offense stalls out."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.