Updated Jun 5, 2013 - 3:56 pm
Suns host star-studded pre-draft workout
Guards Ben McLemore (Kansas) and Victor Oladipo (Indiana), forwards Shabazz Muhammad (UCLA) and Cody Zeller (Indiana) plus centers Rudy Gobert (France) and Alex Len (Maryland) were in town with all but Len working out in front of team executives, coaches and scouts.
Len, on crutches and his left foot in a walking boot as he recovers from ankle surgery, may not have been on the court with the rest of the guys but he still showed up to visit and interview with the Suns.
"This was a really talented group," GM Ryan McDonough said. "We had a bunch of guys in the gym who I think will end up in the lottery. We had good competition at different positions. It was impressive all the way around."
The players in the initial workout group Monday are all projected mid-to-late second-round prospects.
McDonough called it "a challenge" to get each marquee player into town "but with the fifth pick I think that's a good range for a lot of the guys who came into the gym today. John Treloar, our director of player personnel, has done a great job working with the agents scheduling these guys. I think a lot of the players see an opportunity here to come in as a rookie and play right away. We're going to try to get all the top guys and today, I think, was a great step in that direction."
McLemore, whom many consider a top two or three pick, worked out individually following the group session which also included forwards Jared Berggren of Wisconsin and E.J. Singler of Oregon.
"In the fifth slot, really almost anybody could be there for us," McDonough said. "There's not a player or a subset of players that I feel like we can just put aside and not worry about because they'll definitely go ahead of us in the top four, so that's why we're trying to bring them all in and evaluate them all."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.