Suns' Dudley: 'Grant Hill showed me how to be a good pro'
He was drafted with the 22nd pick in the 2007 NBA Draft by the Charlotte Bobcats, and was essentially a "throw-in" in the deal that brought the Suns Jason Richardson in exchange for Boris Diaw and Raja Bell.
Dudley came to Phoenix with very little expectation and did not see much playing time until the end of his first season with the Suns. The next season, Dudley was the leader of a strong bench that helped push the Suns to the brink of the NBA Finals.
Dudley did not have many strong veteran leaders when he first came into the league, but once he came to Phoenix, he got to learn from Grant Hill.
"One of the things he did was switch the weight room stuff for the Phoenix Suns to where everyone would be in the weight room every day," Dudley said earlier Tuesday on the Doug and Wolf show. "Even on game days we would wake up early and go to the weight room.
"He showed me the work ethic you have to take on a day in and day out basis and not just in the summer time."
Dudley earned himself a long-term deal after the playoff run and has become one of the most dependable players on the Suns by only missing four games in the last four and a half seasons.
"Grant Hill showed me how to be a good pro," Dudley stated. "The knowledge and experience I gained from him was life-changing to my NBA career."
Dudley saw his playing time increase from just 15 minutes a game from the bench his first season with the Suns to starting 60 of 65 games in the 2011-12 season, Hill's last with the Suns.
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.