Updated Jun 3, 2013 - 12:47 pm
Looking back at Jason Kidd's career in Phoenix
The day after the holiday, the Suns swung a seven-player deal with the Dallas Mavericks to land 23-year-old point guard Jason Kidd.
Kidd would spend 4 1/2 years in Phoenix, and although his time in the Valley would end inauspiciously, he made quite an impression in his time in purple and orange.
Now 40, Kidd announced his retirement from the NBA after 19 seasons that saw him win a share of the 1994-95 Rookie of the Year Award, play in 10 All-Star Games and win an NBA championship with the Mavericks in 2011.
Here's a look back at Kidd's career in Phoenix, by the numbers.
The number of minutes Kidd played in his Suns' debut Dec. 28, 1996. The point guard's night was cut short after just 20 minutes by a broken collarbone that would keep him out of the lineup until Valentine's Day. In that game, a 103-98 win over the Vancouver Grizzlies, Kidd had six points and nine assists.
Kidd dished out 3,011 assists in his Phoenix career -- the fifth-most in team history behind only Steve Nash, Kevin Johnson, Alvan Adams and Walter Davis.
Kidd's 9.7 assists per game is a Suns team record, beating out Kevin Johnson (9.5) and Steve Nash (9.4).
The number of triple doubles Kidd had in a Phoenix uniform.
The number of times Kidd led the league in assists while with the Suns.
Kidd was selected as All-NBA First Team three times for Phoenix. He's one of only three players in Suns history to achieve that honor three times, joining Paul Westphal and Steve Nash.
The date Kidd was traded to the New Jersey Nets with Chris Dudley for guard Stephon Marbury, forward Johnny Newman and center Soumalia Samake.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.
- The DISH - April 12, 2014 - Saturday April 12Jon Bloom gives us the Day in Suns' History.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 11NBA insider Chris Broussard dicsusses the NBA playoff race.