Updated May 28, 2013 - 5:11 pm
New Suns coach Hornacek: 'Players have to trust you'
A 14-year veteran who was not necessarily known for his supreme athletic ability, Hornacek got the most out of himself and it is hoped he'll be able to do the same for his players.
And while the organization would undoubtedly like to see everyone progress and improve, there's little denying that one guy who may get a little extra attention is Michael Beasley.
One of the team's big free agent signings last summer, Beasley produced arguably the worst season of his five-year career. Averaging just 10.1 points and 3.8 rebounds in under 21 minutes per game, the former number two overall pick found himself out of the rotation at points in the season.
Unless something changes, it will be up to Hornacek to try and coax a quality player out of the enigma that is the 24-year-old forward.
"I think the communication is big," Hornacek told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday when asked how a coach can have success with a player like Beasley. "Players have to trust you, they have to trust that whatever you're telling them is going to help them out as a player."
Hornacek, who learned from coaching greats Cotton Fitzsimmons and Jerry Sloan, said plenty of coaches go into situations saying they have the key to unlocking a player's potential. While he's hoping he can do just that in Phoenix -- but that there is no panacea, no one-size-fits-all method to making things work.
"It's finding those right buttons to push," he said.
So if that means getting some early shots for a player whose game goes in the tank if they get off to a rough shooting start or making sure a defensive-minded player is praised, the point is every player is different and every player will need different types of motivation.
Hornacek, though, says he played point guard his whole life and believes he has a good understanding of how to get guys to play hard.
"I feel I can do that and maybe even have a good relationship with Goran (Dragic) and start to teach him how to do that and hopefully it all snowballs into us becoming a good team."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.