Updated May 28, 2013 - 8:43 am
Suns officially hire Jeff Hornacek as head coach
Former Suns guard Jeff Hornacek, who played with the team from 1986 to 1992, was hired Tuesday morning to take over for interim head coach Lindsey Hunter.
"We are thrilled to introduce Jeff Hornacek as the new head coach of the Phoenix Suns," said Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough. "Jeff has all of the qualities we were looking for in a head coach -- he is a leader, a teacher and a student of the game. Jeff's name has been high on our list ever since my first interview with the Suns. His successes as a player and as an assistant coach, along with his deep ties to this franchise and this community, give us confidence that he will do great things as the next head coach of the Phoenix Suns."
Hornacek, a former walk-on at Iowa State, was a second-round draft pick of the Suns in 1986. The 6-foot-4 guard became a starter in his second season, and cemented himself in that role over the next five years.
In 1991-92, Hornacek averaged a career-high 20.1 points and played in the All-Star Game for the only time in his career.
During that offseason, he was traded along with forward Tim Perry and center Andrew Lang to the Philadelphia 76ers for forward Charles Barkley.
After a year and a half in Philadelphia, Hornacek was traded to Utah, where he became a key cog in their run to back-to-back NBA Finals appearances in 1997 and 1998.
Hornacek retired from the NBA following the 1999-2000 season and joined the Jazz coaching staff in 2007 as a shooting coach. He became a full-time assistant under head coach Tyrone Corbin.
The Suns will introduce their new head coach at a press conference at US Airways Center Tuesday morning.
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.