Updated May 27, 2013 - 7:39 pm
Gambo: Jeff Hornacek will be Suns' new head coach
It looks like the Phoenix Suns have found their next head coach, and it's a familiar name and face to basketball fans in the Valley.
As Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro first reported, the Suns began talks Saturday night with Utah Jazz assistant coach Jeff Hornacek to take over the head coaching reins in Phoenix.
According to multiple media reports, the two sides agreed to terms Sunday, and Hornacek will officially sign a contract early this week.
Hornacek, who was drafted by the Suns, was a fan favorite when he played in Phoenix from 1986-92. In his final year in Phoenix, Hornacek was named to the Western Conference All-Star team during a season in which he averaged 20.1 points per game and shot over 51 percent from the field.
In the offseason following the 1991-92 campaign, Hornacek was dealt to Philadelphia along with forward Tim Perry and center Andrew Lang in the trade that brought Charles Barkley to Phoenix. After a season and a half with the 76ers, Hornacek was traded to the Utah Jazz for guard Jeff Malone. The 6-foot-4 guard spent the next seven years with Utah, helping the Jazz to two Western Conference championships.
In February of 2011, Hornacek officially joined Tyrone Corbin's coaching staff in Utah after serving as a shooting consultant for three seasons.
According to Gambadoro, Hornacek also interviewed with the Charlotte Bobcats for their vacant head coaching position Friday.
This will be Hornacek's first head coaching job at any level.
The former All-Star still keeps a home in the area.
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.