Updated May 27, 2013 - 7:39 pm
Gambo: Jeff Hornacek will be Suns' new head coach
It looks like the Phoenix Suns have found their next head coach, and it's a familiar name and face to basketball fans in the Valley.
As Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro first reported, the Suns began talks Saturday night with Utah Jazz assistant coach Jeff Hornacek to take over the head coaching reins in Phoenix.
According to multiple media reports, the two sides agreed to terms Sunday, and Hornacek will officially sign a contract early this week.
Hornacek, who was drafted by the Suns, was a fan favorite when he played in Phoenix from 1986-92. In his final year in Phoenix, Hornacek was named to the Western Conference All-Star team during a season in which he averaged 20.1 points per game and shot over 51 percent from the field.
In the offseason following the 1991-92 campaign, Hornacek was dealt to Philadelphia along with forward Tim Perry and center Andrew Lang in the trade that brought Charles Barkley to Phoenix. After a season and a half with the 76ers, Hornacek was traded to the Utah Jazz for guard Jeff Malone. The 6-foot-4 guard spent the next seven years with Utah, helping the Jazz to two Western Conference championships.
In February of 2011, Hornacek officially joined Tyrone Corbin's coaching staff in Utah after serving as a shooting consultant for three seasons.
According to Gambadoro, Hornacek also interviewed with the Charlotte Bobcats for their vacant head coaching position Friday.
This will be Hornacek's first head coaching job at any level.
The former All-Star still keeps a home in the area.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 5How did the Suns beat one of the best NBA offenses?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 4Ryan McDonough discusses the Suns' recent losses.
- The DISH - December 3, 2013 - Tuesday December 3Jon Bloom brings us this day in Suns' history.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 3Coach says the Suns know who they are, so who are they?