Alvin Gentry weighs in on Suns' head coaching search
Former Phoenix Suns head coach Alvin Gentry weighed in on who he thinks should lead the organization going forward.
Gentry told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday that the Suns have an interesting pool of candidates to choose from in their search for a new head coach.
"I think there's a lot of great guys out there," Gentry said. "At the end of this season, Lionel Hollins is going to be a free agent. He's got a lot of Valley ties here, played at Arizona State. Obviously he's shown that he can really coach -- young teams that are developing.
"He can also, the defensive thing, which has been kind of an Achilles' heel for the last eight years here. He's done a great job in that area."
Hollins' contract with the Memphis Grizzlies expires this offseason, but the 59-year-old may opt to stay in Memphis, where he's helped build a winning brand.
Gentry also said there's another qualified candidate who deserves to get his shot as a head coach.
"I think Brian Shaw is a guy that needs an opportunity somewhere," Gentry stated. "I think he's got a really good understanding."
Shaw has served as the associate head coach of the Indiana Pacers for the past two seasons.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.