Alvin Gentry weighs in on Suns' head coaching search
Former Phoenix Suns head coach Alvin Gentry weighed in on who he thinks should lead the organization going forward.
Gentry told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday that the Suns have an interesting pool of candidates to choose from in their search for a new head coach.
"I think there's a lot of great guys out there," Gentry said. "At the end of this season, Lionel Hollins is going to be a free agent. He's got a lot of Valley ties here, played at Arizona State. Obviously he's shown that he can really coach -- young teams that are developing.
"He can also, the defensive thing, which has been kind of an Achilles' heel for the last eight years here. He's done a great job in that area."
Hollins' contract with the Memphis Grizzlies expires this offseason, but the 59-year-old may opt to stay in Memphis, where he's helped build a winning brand.
Gentry also said there's another qualified candidate who deserves to get his shot as a head coach.
"I think Brian Shaw is a guy that needs an opportunity somewhere," Gentry stated. "I think he's got a really good understanding."
Shaw has served as the associate head coach of the Indiana Pacers for the past two seasons.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset with success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?