Alvin Gentry weighs in on Suns' head coaching search
Former Phoenix Suns head coach Alvin Gentry weighed in on who he thinks should lead the organization going forward.
Gentry told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday that the Suns have an interesting pool of candidates to choose from in their search for a new head coach.
"I think there's a lot of great guys out there," Gentry said. "At the end of this season, Lionel Hollins is going to be a free agent. He's got a lot of Valley ties here, played at Arizona State. Obviously he's shown that he can really coach -- young teams that are developing.
"He can also, the defensive thing, which has been kind of an Achilles' heel for the last eight years here. He's done a great job in that area."
Hollins' contract with the Memphis Grizzlies expires this offseason, but the 59-year-old may opt to stay in Memphis, where he's helped build a winning brand.
Gentry also said there's another qualified candidate who deserves to get his shot as a head coach.
"I think Brian Shaw is a guy that needs an opportunity somewhere," Gentry stated. "I think he's got a really good understanding."
Shaw has served as the associate head coach of the Indiana Pacers for the past two seasons.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Reserves lead Suns to season-ending win over Kings: By The Numbers
- Suns general manager Ryan McDonough: 'We'd like to have' Channing Frye back next season
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- If you dislike Robert Sarver, don't read this!
- Robert Sarver reflects on his 10 years at the helm of the Phoenix Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.