Alvin Gentry weighs in on Suns' head coaching search
Former Phoenix Suns head coach Alvin Gentry weighed in on who he thinks should lead the organization going forward.
Gentry told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday that the Suns have an interesting pool of candidates to choose from in their search for a new head coach.
"I think there's a lot of great guys out there," Gentry said. "At the end of this season, Lionel Hollins is going to be a free agent. He's got a lot of Valley ties here, played at Arizona State. Obviously he's shown that he can really coach -- young teams that are developing.
"He can also, the defensive thing, which has been kind of an Achilles' heel for the last eight years here. He's done a great job in that area."
Hollins' contract with the Memphis Grizzlies expires this offseason, but the 59-year-old may opt to stay in Memphis, where he's helped build a winning brand.
Gentry also said there's another qualified candidate who deserves to get his shot as a head coach.
"I think Brian Shaw is a guy that needs an opportunity somewhere," Gentry stated. "I think he's got a really good understanding."
Shaw has served as the associate head coach of the Indiana Pacers for the past two seasons.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.