Updated May 12, 2013 - 6:34 pm
Jared Dudley's mom: He's always been humble through ups and downs
Even during a 25-57 season in which he went back and forth between starting and coming off the bench, Dudley's work ethic and approach never changed. It's a trait his mother Melinda said has existed from Day 1.
"He was a very focused kid even when he was young," Melinda told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf. "I'll share this with you, he never watched cartoons. From age two on, he was always watching sports."
Growing up, Melinda exposed Jared and his brother to a multitude of sports, but admitted one of her fondest memories was teaching her son the value of winning fairly.
"Both of my sons started out with soccer then baseball, flag football, and I grew up playing tennis so I exposed them to that," said Melinda. Funny story on that one, was that when (Pete) Sampras was playing (Andre) Agassi at the US Open, Jared turned to me and said, 'You know I want to play tennis.' We would go out there and he was so competitive, always. He would get so mad that he couldn't beat me, but I mean I grew up playing tennis and this was his first time out there.
"So he said to me, 'Just give me a couple of games, just let me be up by a couple games.' He was probably in grammar school at the time, but I told him he had to beat me."
Winning hasn't been a prominent part of Dudley's career of the past three seasons in Phoenix, but Melinda said she's proud of the way her son has handled everything in stride.
"He has stayed humble," she said. "He is such a kind young man, truly a kind young man."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Channing Frye finishes third in NBA Sportsmanship Award voting
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.